Everyone loves Rocky Road – don’t they?
It’s hard to imagine anyone complaining if they found one of these in their lunchbox – whether you eat your lunch in the school yard, or on a bench outside the office.
They’re great, if a little dangerous to have around the kitchen for a quick energy snack at any time.
Not that they’re healthy – really, at all! But they’re only little squares and they’re wonderful treats. So if you’re on a clean eating regime, you’d better stop reading now, before any damage is done.
Here’s a quick and easy recipe inspired by the fabulous Nigella Lawson to help you rustle up a batch of Rocky Road. And I guarantee you this – you will be loved, praised and adored. You will be showered with affection and appreciation. You will be treated like royalty. In short you will be a legend in your own kitchen.
Just follow these easy steps:
Ingredients (to make about 24)
- 125 grams soft butter
- 300 grams good quality chocolate broken into pieces
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup
- 200 grams rich tea biscuits (or amaretto biscuits if you want to be fancy)
- 100 grams mini marshmallows
- 50g chopped glace cherries
- 50g sultanas
- 2 teaspoons icing sugar
- Large heavy saucepan
- Rolling pin
- Disposable Foil Tray – about 9″ square
- Knives, spatulas and small sieve
- Melt your butter, chocolate and golden syrup in a large heavy saucepan on the hob. Scoop out about 125ml / ½ cup of this melted mixture and put to one side.
- Put the biscuits into a freezer bag and then bash them with a rolling pin until you get crumbs and some small chunks.
- Fold the biscuit pieces and crumbs into the melted chocolate mixture in the saucepan, and then add the marshmallows.
- Tip the mixture into a foil tray and flatten as best you can with a spatula.
- Pop in the fridge for about 2 hours or better still, overnight.
- Cut into 24 fingers and dust with icing sugar by pushing it gently through a tea strainer or small sieve
Rocky Road is the answer to all our woes.
It’s the perfect pick me up after a horrid day at school.
It’s the ideal snack with your coffee at the office to get you through the afternoon.
It’s the ultimate picnic treat for those hot sunny days.
It’s the best comfort food with your hot chocolate on a wet autumn afternoon.
Once you’ve made Rocky Road – what else is there?
And best of all, there is no baking required whatsoever.
So, come on, get your pinny out and get started, and let me know how you get on.