How are you sleeping? I’ve read that a lot of people are sleeping badly during the lockdown. I guess this is due to a change of routine, not getting enough exercise, and just plain old brain fog. If you need a few tips on how to get a better night’s sleep check out my recent blog on this subject.
Bedtime is about healthy routines. Right? Our brains need to learn that when we start doing certain familiar things, we are heading for the sleep zone.
I’m quite a minimalist sort of girl. When you live in a cosy cottage, you have to be tidy and keep the clutter to a minimum, and this is reflected in my bedroom as much as any other room. So I’m telling you what’s on my bedside table, if you tell me what’s on yours?
One of the most important things to get right in your bedroom is lighting. And it needs to be low and gentle. In my humble opinion, the only reason anyone should need a bright light in their bedroom is to do cleaning on a cloudy day. I have blackout blinds which only get lifted when I have joined the conscious world for at least 30 minutes. Photosensitivity is a side effect of my proclivity to migraines and bright sunlight is often a trigger for a bad day. I have the lowest wattage bulbs on my bedside lamp and the prettiest “Devon” lamp shade from John Lewis Home.
It’s important that essential bedside things are within a comfortable reach. No-one needs to be hanging out of bed, balancing on the edge trying to reach a bedside table drawer without landing head first with a painful thud. I keep all my nighttime essentials (and maybes) in the cutest seagrass basket from Janet Bell Home.
Now I know you’re dying to know what I keep in my little basket basket.
- Tamanu Balm – this is a Tropic Skincare miracle pot. I use Tamanu for dry hands, cracked lips, cold sores and even crushed fingers (yes I trapped my little finger in a door a few weeks back and it’s looking delightful). I didn’t believe the hype at first but once I’d tried it, there’s no turning back.
- Lip balm – I use the Blistex Intensive Moisturiser Hydrating Lip Balm. I literally have one in every coat pocket, every handbag, in the car … and in my bedside basket. But I’ve just noticed that there’s a new version with SPF10 which I’m suddenly very interested in.
- Hand cream – I’d love to tell you a particular brand, but I have quite a collection of hand creams. Mainly from Christmas stocking gifts. I just work my way through them. Although I must confess Crabtree & Evelyn La Source is one of my favourites. It’s glorious especially in the fancy new packaging.
- Foot cream – Essential for dry skin after the bath. And particularly essential during Birkenstock season, which is fast approaching. A while back I was gifted the “A Walk on the Beach” collection from Tropic and am no totally addicted to their Repairing Foot Remedy. It’s the most nourishing thing I’ve put on my feet and keeps them soft all summer long.
- Lavender spray – who uses linen spray? It’s a game changer right? I love the So Sleepy Pillow Mist from Tropic Skincare. It’s a blend of 7 sleep inducing essential oils including lavender, chamomile and frankincense. Just one spritz and you’ll be out like a light. I promise.
- Space Masks – last but very much not least are my favourite interstellar relaxation mask from the incomparable Harriet at Space Masks. You can buy a box of 5, or sign up to her brand new subscription service. These are a real treat, so I only save them for migraines and truly sleepless nights.
I used to be a book at bedtime girl. An actual book with pages. Until I discovered Audible. Now it’s the most exciting half hour of the day. We’ve been completely addicted to the LJ Ross series of DCI Ryan stories set in the wild North East, but we’ve heard all 15 and are waiting for the next one to be released. We’re now onto David Blake’s crime drama series set in the Norfolk Broads and it’s fab. But I must admit the main challenge is to keep Mr Bond awake for long enough to finish the chapter.
What does your bedside table look like? I’d love to know your bedtime routines? What are the things you find calming and relaxing?
[AD. Contains gifted items from Tropic Skincare]